"When you leave the beaten path of civilization, you enter the world of primal and mysterious forces―and encounter wonders you never thought possible. This is the territory of the shaman. To learn the secrets of shamanism, José Luis Stevens has traveled to the remote and wild places where the oldest human spiritual practice still exists in its purest form. With Encounters with Power, this respected teacher invites you to experience his journeys to meet shamans around the globe―and share in the wisdom he received. Join this master storyteller as he recounts his meetings with Spirit in its many guises, including:
• India and the Life-Changing Reading―at a turning point in his life, Jose receives a startlingly accurate prophecy
• Lost in Mexico―a humbling education in the difference between "power" and "control"
• The Guatemala Test and Initiation―the power of being frugal with judgment and generous with forgiveness
• Encounters with the Power of Aborigines and Songlines Down Under―sometimes the teacher appears when the student is not ready
• Journeys for Power with Medicine―visions with the plant spirit of ayahuasca
• A Magical Andes Wedding―an unforgettable ceremony attended by people, spirits, and the forces of nature
• The Dolphin Brujos―nature’s tricksters teach a sharp lesson in responsibility and humility
• Encounters with the Dark Shaman―a perilous jungle journey reveals the ferocity of nature and the dangerous side of shamanic practice
• Nevado Aconcagua: Pilgrimage to a Sacred Mountain―how a holy place can be both a dangerous trial and a source of limitless support
Power is everywhere―encounters with power can happen any time. "In my travels to meet these extraordinary healers," writes José, "I’ve had terrifying, enlightening, and at times hugely entertaining adventures. Power can destroy us or it can raise us up by teaching us and nourishing us. I may not be a master, but I have learned a few things that you may find helpful on your own quest."